Advanced Graduate and Postgraduate Study
D820 The Challenge of the Social Sciences (30 pts)
This foundation course for our master's programme in the social sciences (which can also be studied on its own) is the starting point for understanding the relationship between theory and methods in social science, drawing on research strategies in sociology, psychology, politics, geography, economics and social policy. It explores debates in the philosophy of the social sciences by examining their consequences for social research practice, introduces various research methods, and equips you with the skills and insights necessary for successful study at master's level.
It concludes with an assignment in which you can apply your new skills in reviewing and evaluating research literature.
Postgraduate Certificate in Education
University of Leeds
This was the year that the TTA’s ITT National Curriculum was introduced, with
statutory audits for mathematics and English, as well the non-statutory audits
in Science and ICT.
- Canton School Early Years Unit, Batley - 100% of pupils speaking a
preferred language other than English, substantial percentage of pupils
receiving free school meals.
- Milnsbridge School Year 1/2 - 10% of pupils speaking a preferred language
other than English, substantial percentage of pupils receiving free school
meals, 2 pupils with LD-EBD with Statements of SEN.
- Primary Teaching: Assignment focusing on the special educational needs of a
pupil with serious language delay and a history of hearing impairment -Grade
- English: focusing on the influence of language and culture on teaching
early literacy to 4-5 year old pupils who speak a preferred language other
than English, including reference to the work of Eve Gregory and Raj Varma -
- Mathematics: teaching counting to 4-5 year old pupils who speak a
preferred language other than English - Grade A;
- Science: focus on the ideas of Vygotsky, the role of play and the issues
of gender and ethnicity in teaching 4-5 year old science - Grade B;
- Dissertation: Practitioners and pupils emotions and Personal and Social
Development in very young children - Grade A.
Additional specialist work The role of the ICT coordinator: undertaking an audit
of student teacher requirements in ICT and applying for extra tuition time for
PGCE primary teacher trainees (successfully).
Advanced Certificate in Special Education: Autism (Pupils)
University of Birmingham (distance)
- Assignment 1: Social Interactive Approaches (Intensive
Interaction, etc.) - Grade A.
- EDSE 02: Special Educational Needs of Pupils with Autism
- Assignment 2: Critical incident analysis of communication breakdown,
using frame by frame video analysis - Grade A.
- EDSE 03: Curriculum and Treatment of Pupils with Autism
- Assignment 3: Critical analysis of "parents as professionals"
- Grade A.
- EDSE 04: Action Research Project
- Assignment 4: C-PASS (Combined Play and Self-management Schedule) -
Summary CV [PDF]
Please note: On the 01 February
2016, I changed my name from Yunus Yakoub Islam to Julian Yaqub.